To all those hard working dad’s out there, Thank you! I know in our home we really couldn’t do without him. His seemingly boundless energy, ability to make us laugh, willingness to help wherever possible and late night car drives to soothe our son, I know we are so lucky to have him around. So don’t be shy in pouring the love and gratitude onto the male figures who make your child feel loved, happy and safe.
Here is one of my favourite Nu Roots recipes, yes I get a lot from her, she is an awesome nutritionist. This recipe is gluten free, dairy free (if you choose) and naturally sweetened. I have altered it a bit to make it my own and a little extra special for father’s day!
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 2/3 cup short grain brown rice or millet. Soak the grains with water in separate bowls overnight. Add 1 tbsp kefir, or lemon juice (anything acidic will do). Next morning rinse the grains in colander and place in blender.
- ¾ cup yogurt, kefir (or milk or milk substitute with 1 tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil, melted ghee, coconut oil, or butter
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut or brown rice flour
- 2 bananas or 1/2 cup of Mum’s Original Banana Powder (the banana powder is naturally ripened by the sun and dehydrated making them nutrient dense and sweet)
- 300g Enjoy Life Dairy Free Chocolate chunks
- Optional or ¾ cup berries (add extra milk until the consistency of regular pancake batter)
Preheat pan (325-350, or med-low), add yogurt (or milk) to blender with grains and blend until smooth. Open lid and break egg into running blender, add coconut, oil (or butter), and salt. Sprinkle baking soda while still running and then stop the blender (this recipe works with a food processor too).
Cook pancakes on preheated griddle or pan, use some coconut oil, ghee or butter for the first batch.
Serve with maple syrup and flax oil mix (1/3 flax oil 2/3 maple syrup). This is a great way to add some omega 3 fatty acids.
Freeze left over pancakes and defrost in the toaster later. If you even have any left over, they are delicious!
*Actual banana pancakes without the chocolate chips.
In great health & happiness,